The Mariners said Thursday that the 30-year-old Gutierrez won't be reporting to spring training after a relapse of the gastrointestinal problem that slowed him last season. Position players are due to report next Monday.
Gutierrez told the team that he didn't think it was fair to come to spring training if he couldn't fully compete for a spot on the major league club. He signed a one-year contract for $1 million plus incentives last December and figured to get a good shot at winning the No. 1 center fielder job in camp.
The Mariners put the 2010 Gold Glove winner on the restricted list and took him off the 40-man roster.
Gutierrez hit .248 with 10 home runs and 24 RBIs in 145 at-bats last year. He played in only 41 games and twice went on the disabled list because of a strained right hamstring.
Gutierrez has had six stints on the DL over three seasons with Seattle.
"His health was not cooperating with him," Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said. "It's very disappointing."