OAKLAND -- Recent violence in Oakland, particularly the fatal shootings of five men in an 18-hour period Monday night and Tuesday "is unacceptable ... cannot be allowed to continue and won't be tolerated," police Chief Howard Jordan said Thursday.
At a news conference attended by city officials, clergy and some residents as a show of support, Jordan said police were working diligently to solve the killings and already had some positive leads in some of the cases.
To stem the gun-related violence Jordan said police will work even closer with other state and federal agencies, particularly the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI, which have already been assisting in cases.
He also said the institution of the anti-violence program known as Ceasefire planned to launch in two weeks should have an impact on the violence. In the program, police and the community form alliances to contact violent offenders and make it clear their conduct must stop.
He said individuals who commit violence think "the benefits outweigh the consequences. Our job and our commitment is to make it clear that violence is unacceptable and that the consequences are extremely clear."
The names of two men who were among the five fatally shot Monday and Tuesday in different parts of East Oakland were released by police earlier Thursday.
Police said Herman N. Neverez, 44, was shot to death outside his home in the 1500 block of 57th Avenue about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday. His home was hit by gunfire but no one else was injured, police said.
Investigators identified 18-year-old D'Angelo Price, of Oakland, as the man shot to death just before 9 p.m. Monday as he sat in a van in a parking lot outside a liquor store in the 9000 block of MacArthur Boulevard.
The names of the other three men had already been released.
Oakland has 94 homicides this year, five more than last year at this time.