Fremont's Mission San Jose was founded in 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuén. Ohlone Indians lived at the mission and helped the Spanish Franciscan missionaries in construction and farming. The first exported California pears are traced to the mission's orchards.
Archbishop John J. Mitty, above, bestows a special blessing upon the new Sisters of the Holy Family at Mission San Jose in August 1949.
"Trip in Time" runs the first Sunday of each month and is selected by librarian Veronica Martinez. Email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us at http://oaklandtribunearchives.tumblr.com