OAKLAND -- Accused Oikos University gunman One L. Goh covered his face with his hands and cried and said he is "deeply sorry" about the shooting that left seven dead in the largest mass killing in the city's history, according to an interview aired Wednesday on CBS 5.
"Families are so angry with me," Goh told reporter Juliette Goodrich. "(But) if I tell them sorry, it doesn't bring anybody back.
"That word doesn't help," Goh said, according to the exclusive interview broadcast on the 5 p.m. newscast.
Goodrich said she spoke to Goh through a glass partition and via a telephone at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin for about 15 minutes Wednesday. Goh decided on his own to speak with the reporter without his attorney present, Goodrich said. And while the 43-year-old Oakland man revealed nothing new about the incident, the interview gave a small glimpse into some of his thoughts.
The interview came even as new details emerged about the April 2 shooting. Law enforcement sources said Goh knew some of the students at the school that day, but not all. He spared the lives of people he liked or those who had not given him any problems, the sources said.
Goh is accused of storming through an Oikos classroom, ordering nursing students there to line up against a wall and then -- angry because they weren't moving fast enough -- opening fire with a .45-caliber handgun that he had purchased, legally, a few weeks earlier.
In the interview, Goh said
"I have an attorney. I have told him everything," Goh said, according to Goodrich. "He advised me not to talk, but I am sorry."
Goodrich said Goh declined to speak about specific targets in the shooting or what sparked it. "You never know what you will do one day ... or what your mind will do," Goh said, according to the CBS report.
Goh, a divorced father who has lost several jobs over the past few years and was in debt, was studying to be a nurse with money from his father, who lives in a senior facility in Oakland. Why Goh left the college in November and then sparred with the administration after he tried to recoup some or all of his $6,000 tuition remains unknown, police said.
"I was studying to be a nurse ... but it didn't happen," Goh told Goodrich. "It is complicated to explain."
Goh also spoke of his mistrust of people, saying "they say one thing" but are "thinking something else," and said he wants to see his relatives.
"I want to see my family, but I think they don't want to see me. I don't know," he said, according to the interview.
Both Goh's mother, who lived in his home country of South Korea, and his brother, a decorated Iraq War veteran, died last year. His brother, an Army sergeant stationed in Germany, was killed in a car crash in March 2011 while attending training in Virginia. The cause of his mother's death is not known.
Goh remains in Santa Rita on a no bail hold and is charged with seven counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, one count of kidnapping and one count of carjacking. Killed in the Oikos shooting were Katleen Ping, 21, of Oakland; Lydia H. Sim, 21, of Hayward; Sonam Choedon, 33, of El Cerrito; Grace Kim, 23, of Union City; Tshering Rinzing Bhutia, 38, of San Francisco; Judith O. Seymour, 53, of San Jose; and Doris Chibuko, 40, of San Leandro. Three others were injured.
Although Goh has told investigators that his classmates teased him over his broken English and older age and started ignoring him, Goodrich said Goh spoke English clearly. She said in an interview with KCBS radio that his eyes were red and his hands were "always over his face, as if he was remorseful."
Goh was in court April 4, but did not enter a plea. His next court hearing is April 30, when he is expected to enter a plea.