The best moments from Sunday night's Emmy telecast:
1. Director Ron Howard, who played Opie on "The Andy Griffith Show," appeared to get choked up as he introduced the "In Memoriam" segment with a poignant salute to Griffith, who died this past summer. "Dang, if he didn't make it look easy," Howard said of the beloved star.
2. Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon, also-rans in the best variety series category, playfully tackled and wrestled Jon Stewart to the ground as the latter made his way to the stage. Stewart, whose "Daily Show" became a 10-time winner in the category, was out of breath during his acceptance speech and uttered a bleeped-out expletive.
3. In perhaps his best live bit first-time host Jimmy Kimmel had security guards remove his parents from the theater after his late-night show failed to win an Emmy. The reason? They taught him to believe he could accomplish anything if he set his mind on it, and this year he set his mind on winning an Emmy. "You lied to me and I'm devastated," he told them.
4. Ricky Gervais brought some life to a mostly lifeless telecast when he appeared as presenter. He took some swipes at a few nominees, including Louis C.K. and joked about how he was flown in from London just to preside over some fringe categories that no one cares about. He proved once again to be an awards show go-to guy.
5. A taped segment involving the cast of three-time Emmy champ "Modern