A room in a home in the 800 block of Carolina Street caught fire about 7 a.m. Monday, killing a cocker spaniel and more than a dozen birds.

One woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, Vallejo Fire Battalion Chief Mike Brooks said.

Homeowner Mitchelle Church said his dog at first escaped from the fire but then ran back inside and was found deceased. One of his three cats made it but the other two could not be immediately found, he said.

For more on the story, see the Vallejo Times-Herald at http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_21725070