The Oakland Board of Education founded the Central Trade School in 1927. Classes in carpentry, cooking, metalworking, sewing and others commenced in fall 1928 in the old Oakland High School building at 12th and Jefferson streets. The school was later renamed the Joseph C. Laney Trade and Technical Institute in 1948. We know it today as Laney College.

Eva Szmaragd of Poland studies cosmetology while her husband fights with the British armed forces. She is seen here giving a permanent wave to C.V. Brooks in 1942.

Gladys Noecker, from left, Faye Henson and Laura Phillips learn drill-press operation for employment at local plants in July 1944. The United States Employment Service and Oakland Public Schools joined together to recruit students for wartime production training during World War II.

"Trip in Time" runs every first Sunday and is selected by librarian Veronica Martinez. Email feedback to vmartinez@bayareanewsgroup.com or follow us at http://oaklandtribunearchives.tumblr.com.