SAN LORENZO -- More than 100 employees were evacuated from their workplaces on an industrial San Lorenzo street late Tuesday night after an ammonia leak was discovered at the Sara Lee Foods facility, fire officials said.
Alameda County Fire Department crews were sent at 10:12 p.m. to the facility at 2400 Baumann Ave. after it was discovered that ammonia, used to support the facility's refrigeration system, was leaking from a pipe, Alameda County Fire Spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
The Sara Lee employees were evacuated and released for the remainder of the night shift, Knowles said. It was not immediately known how many staffers were working at the facility at the time of the leak.
According to Knowles, about 100 employees of businesses along Grant Avenue west of Worthley Drive, including Seaside RVs and Storage, where the owners live on-site, were evacuated by sheriff's deputies while hazmat teams secured the leak. Roughly 15 employees at Too Good Gourmet, located at 2380 Grant Ave., sheltered in place for three hours while the leak was contained.
The pipe was secured at 1:19 a.m. Wednesday morning, Knowles said. No injuries were reported to any employees or fire personnel.
Sara Lee health and safety managers, as well as a plant manager, were on scene late Tuesday night to evaluate the safety of the facility and discuss what is going to happen moving forward, Knowles said.
Safety managers for Sara Lee could not be reached