RODEO -- A sleepy resident who wanted to fry something to eat may have had her life saved by a smoke alarm as her home burned Friday night, fire officials said.

The fire was reported about 9:06 p.m. on the 500 block of Vallejo Avenue, according to Pinole Fire Battalion Chief Brian Lowry. The woman told investigators that she had put a pan with cooking oil on the stove to fry some food, then sat down in another room while it heated.

She fell asleep and awoke to the sound of the smoke alarm, Lowry said. She was able to escape the home, but heat from the fire prevented her from re-entering to call 911, so she used a neighbor's phone.

Firefighters arrived to find fire showing from multiple sides of the single-family home. Crews knocked the fire down and kept it from spreading to the home next door.

The woman reported shortness of breath and was evaluated by paramedics, but was not hospitalized. No one else was injured.

Officials estimated the damage at $120,000. The Red Cross offered help to the two residents to secure temporary assistance.

Contact Daniel M. Jimenez at djimenez@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow him at Twitter.com/DMJreports.



Advertisement