SAN LEANDRO -- A couple's barking dog alerted them to an early-morning fire in their home and everyone escaped uninjured, fire officials said Tuesday.

Fire officials said the couple had a fire in their fireplace Monday night and embers got past the spark arrestor of the chimney and ignited a fire in a tree outside.

Firefighters arrived and found that immense heat from the tree fire had shattered the living room window, allowing the flames to spread both inside and outside the home and sending smoke and flames shooting from a window, said Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles.

Alameda County firefighters were called to the home in the 700 block of Elsie Avenue at 12:47 a.m. The fire was out in about 15 minutes, Knowles said.

The fire caused about $60,000 damage to the ceiling, exterior wall, attic and living room furniture, Knowles said. The two residents and their dog are staying with neighbors.

Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund. Contact Kristin J. Bender at kbender@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow her at Twitter.com/kjbender.



Advertisement