SAN FRANCISCO -- The U.S. Coast Guard was searching late Sunday for two adults and two children who had been aboard a sailboat that reportedly sank about 30 miles southwest of Santa Cruz.
The boat was reported to be taking on water late Sunday afternoon, according to Petty Officer Sean McGinnis.
Details were still sketchy Sunday evening. KTVU News reported that Coast Guard officials received a distress call at about 4:20 p.m. from someone aboard a 29-foot sailboat that was 65 miles offshore. The four people aboard told the Coast Guard they had to abandon ship at around 5:30 p.m.
The Coast Guard said the passengers did not have any life rafts or survival suits, KTVU reported, and planned to tie a cooler and other materials together to create a life boat.
Contact Sharon Noguchi at 408-271-3775. Follow her at Twitter.com/NoguchiOnK12.