ANTIOCH -- A fire that began on a boat and spread to a home caused $100,000 in damages and destroyed the water craft early Thursday morning, but nobody was injured, according to the Contra Costa Fire Protection District.
A blog entry by the District on its website said the one-alarm fire was sparked accidentally but did not state how it began. The blaze started around 3:10 a.m. in a single family home in the 200 block of Creed Avenue. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke and a fire in the backyard.
The boat, according to the District, was near a detached residence on the property. Seventeen firefighters from three engines and two ladder trucks brought the fire under control in 17 minutes, and kept the fire from spreading to any other structures.
An undisclosed number of residents were out of the house when fire crews arrived.
A call to a spokesman for ConFire was not immediately returned.