ALAMEDA COUNTY -- Two families were displaced following a small fire in one unit of a four-plex Friday afternoon, a spokesman with the Alameda County Fire Department said.

The fire was called in at 1:37 p.m., Battalion Chief Ronnie Oatis said.

The fire started in the kitchen, likely on the stove, of the four-plex at 15995 Marcella Ave., in the unincorporated Ashland area of Alameda County.

Ceiling sprinklers extinguished the fire before fire crews arrived. Oatis said the main damage was mostly caused by water, not fire or smoke.

No one was seriously injured but one man hurt his leg while running upstairs, Oatis said.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary shelter for the families, Oatis said.

Reach Kristin J. Bender at kbender@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow her at Twitter.com/kjbender.



Advertisement