Even as the national audience for local television news declined 6.5 percent last year, Spanish-language TV news has been holding its own and drawing younger, bilingual viewers in big metropolitan regions around the country, said Mark Jurkowitz, associate director of the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism.
Here were the top evening news shows attracting Bay Area viewers ages 25 to 54 in 2012:
1. Univision 14 KDTV: 6 p.m. local news in Spanish (29,000 viewers)
2. Univision 14 KDTV: 6:30 p.m. national news in Spanish (27,000)
3. KTSF Channel 26: 7 p.m. local news in Cantonese (23,000)
4. KTVU Channel 2: 6 p.m. local news in English (23,000)
5. NBC Nightly News, 5:30 p.m. national news in English (21,000)
Sources: Nielsen Media Research; Univision 14 KDTV; KTSF Channel 26