SAN PABLO -- Four adults and three children are safe after investigators say an electrical fire broke out inside a home Saturday morning and caused about $10,000 in damage.

Firefighters were called at 5:26 a.m. to 2924 15th St. after a resident inside the one-story home awoke to the smell of smoke, said Contra Costa County Fire District spokesman Lewis Broschard.

When fire crews arrived they saw heavy smoke coming from a garage attached to the home, Broschard said.

He said four adults and three children escape the home without injury and firefighters had the blaze under control within 19 minutes.

Investigators said they determined that the fire was a result of an electrical overload or malfunction.

"The garage of this home had been converted to a dwelling unit where two occupants were asleep at the time of the fire," Broschard said. "There were no operating smoke detectors in this home. All of the residents were fortunate that one of the occupants awoke to the smell of smoke and evacuated everyone."

The Red Cross was called to assist with temporary housing for the adults and children who lived in the home.

Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.