BERKELEY -- Fire investigators say a discarded cigarette accidentally sparked a one-alarm house fire on Sunday that caused $75,000 in damages.

Fire crews were called just before 2:30 p.m. to the single-story home in the 1700 block of Blake Street after someone reported seeing smoke, said Deputy Chief Avery Webb.

When fire crews arrived, they found neighbors attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose, Webb said.

No one was inside the home when the fire broke out and no injuries were reported.

The fire spread to the attic, but firefighters had the blaze under control about 3:30 p.m., Webb said.

Investigators on Monday said they determined the fire started on the front porch of the home from what appeared to be a cigarette butt.

The fire caused about $75,000 in damage to the home and its contents, Webb said.

Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.