RICHMOND -- Two construction workers fainted after they allegedly punctured a gas pipe in a home they were working on, Richmond police said Friday.

Around 4:25 p.m., Richmond police and fire crews were called to the 300 block of 9th Street for reports of two men unconscious inside a home.

When police arrived, they found that the men had fainted as a result of fumes coming from a gas pipe they had punctured while working on a home, police said.

The area was temporarily evacuated as fire crews shut off the gas line and the two construction workers were treated at the scene and released.

No one else was injured, though the fire department did say others had complained of feeling unwell.

A hazardous materials crew was on scene around 4:40 p.m. to clean the area and a section of 9th Street was briefly closed.

The area was reopened shortly after 5 p.m.

Contact Katie Nelson at 925-945-4782 or follow her at Twitter.com/katienelson210.