SAN RAFAEL -- Firefighters battled a residential structure fire in San Rafael Wednesday night, according to fire officials.

At about 8:30 p.m., firefighters received a report of a fire on the 100 block of Garden Avenue in San Rafael.

According to fire officials, the one-story single-family home was evacuated before firefighters arrived on the scene.

Flames and light smoke were visible from the exterior when firefighters arrived on scene, according to fire officials.

The fire appears to have been caused by a faulty exterior electrical switch in the rear of the home. The fire spread up the wall, into a bathroom and across the ceiling of the home, according to fire officials.

Firefighters doused the flames to prevent further damage.

No residents or firefighters were reported injured, fire officials said.

The damage to the structure and contents of the home is estimated to be less than $10,000.

The fire remains under investigation.



Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.