BERKELEY -- An unattended candle sparked a blaze that destroyed a rented apartment inside a city home on Sunday afternoon and displaced a mother and her baby, a fire official said.

Fire crews were called at 4:21 p.m. to the home in the 3000 block of Beacon Street for a report of a bedroom on fire, said Battalion Chief Bill Kehoe.

When fire crews arrived they learned an unattended candle left on a table in the bedroom started the one-alarm blaze.

A woman and her baby who lived in an apartment at the home made it out safely, but were displaced.

No injuries were reported.

Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.