CONCORD -- Police called in members of the Walnut Creek Bomb Squad to assist them in a search of a home Wednesday afternoon, but officials appeared to give the all-clear shortly before 4:45 p.m.

The search of a single-story family home on the 1800 block of Johnson Drive began shortly after 3:30 p.m., police said. Officers evacuated at least one house adjacent to the targeted home.

A fully-suited member of the bomb squad entered the home, then re-emerged and gave other officers a thumbs-up sign around 4:30 p.m.

There was no explosion or fire, and no reports of injuries.

Police took one person into custody and removed several boxes from the home, but officers on the scene would not identify the person or say why the bomb squad was called to the scene.

Dirke Lyman, who lived just four houses over from the residence that was being searched, said he had been standing across the street from his home to watch officers work.

He said in the hour he had been there, he watched as more and more officers arrived and conversed but relayed very little to onlookers asking questions.

"You know it's serious when you see five or six cars," he said. "You never see that."

As of 5:30 p.m., the scene was cleared.

Check back for updates. Contact Katie Nelson at knelson@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow her at Twitter.com/katienelson210.



Advertisement