SAN JOSE -- A family of six was displaced by a fire that broke out in a bedroom of their home near Eastridge Shopping Center shortly before noon Wednesday, according to fire officials.

Nobody was injured and damage was largely contained to the contents of the room, said San Jose fire spokesman Capt. Cleo Doss.

"There was no extensive damage," he said. "They had a pretty good knockdown."

Doss said the family would not be displaced for long, and the main reason they couldn't stay at the Othello Avenue home is because the electrical meter was disconnected from the house and service needs to be restored.

He said the Red Cross is helping find the family of two adults and four children temporary shelter.

A cause of the fire was not immediately known, Doss said.

Contact Eric Kurhi at 408-920-5852. Follow him at Twitter.com/erickurhi.



Advertisement