PINOLE -- Six people escaped with their lives after their home went up in flames when a candle was left unattended in a bedroom, a Contra Costa Fire Protection District battalion chief said.

The one-alarm fire, at a home in the 2600 block of Fahey Court, started around 9:25 p.m. and required 19 firefighters to put it out, Battalion Chief Lon Goetsch said. All six residents were out of the house by the time fire crews arrived to see heavy smoke coming from the home and flames that were threatening the home next to it.

Crews kept the fire to the room where it started and an adjoining hallway, but the entire home was damaged by smoke and heat, Goetsch said. Some family heirlooms and photographs were salvaged, but Goetsch estimated the property damage to the home to be $80,000.

The family will be staying with relatives, Goetsch said.

Contact Rick Hurd at 925-945-4789 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH.



Advertisement