FREMONT -- Five people were displaced after a kitchen fire caused by a unattended pot on a stove caused $70,000 in damage Tuesday, officials said.
At 4:51 p.m., Fremont firefighters responded to a home on the 40000 block of Creston Street, where they found smoke coming from the eaves.
Firefighters knocked down the fire, which had spread to the attic, in about 20 minutes.
The resident told crews he had left an unattended pot of cooking oil on the stove and then tried to put out the fire with water. But instead, his efforts caused the hot oil to scald him and cause moderate burn injuries to his legs.
He was treated on the scene by Fremont Fire Department paramedics and transported to Valley Burn Center.
Four adults and one juvenile were displaced by the fire and given temporary housing by the American Red Cross.
The single-story home suffered $70,000 in damages.