CONCORD -- A house fire started by an unattended candle quickly destroyed a single-family home Wednesday evening.

The fire on the 2700 block of Bonafacio Street broke out shortly after 7:10 p.m., according to a Contra Costa Fire dispatcher. By the time crews arrived on scene, the home was fully engulfed in flames.

Units from Concord, Pacheco, Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek came in to assist fighting the flames and smoke. Police cleared pedestrians from the street due to power lines arcing in the area.

The home was a total loss, according to Training Capt. Kevin Platt. The fire apparently started when an unattended candle ignited a set of curtains in a back bedroom, he said.

Staff photographer Susan Tripp Pollard contributed to this story. Contact Katie Nelson at knelson@bayareanewsgroup.com and follow her at Twitter.com/katienelson210.