LIVERMORE -- Sparks from a resident's welding project in unincorporated Livermore resulted in a fire that destroyed a home and a shed Saturday afternoon, an Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman said.
No one was injured.
According to Aisha Knowles, crews from Alameda County, the Livermore Pleasanton Fire Department, Cal Fire and Camp Parks responded to the 4000 block of Dyer Road around 1:45 p.m. for reports of a grass fire but while en route, they were informed the fire had turned into a house fire as well.
The fire, sparked when a man was working on a welding project at his home, quickly spread from the grass to the home and adjacent shed. Crews were able to put out the blaze by 2:45 p.m.
The home's two residents were displaced, and their dog unfortunately perished in the fire, Knowles added.
Crews were finally able to leave the scene around 7:30 p.m.