RODEO -- Fire crews found a lighter near a one-alarm fire at an abandoned garage Friday morning, but a battalion chief for the Contra Costa Fire Protection District said the blaze does not appear to be suspicious.
The garage at 201 Parker Ave. was damaged, but crews prevented the fire from spreading to a building next door that used to house The Windmill Club, Battalion Chief Bryan Craig said. The Windmill Club was a restaurant and bar that shut down several years ago and remains abandoned, authorities said.
The building has been inhabited by homeless people at various times over the years, according to authorities, and people still gather near it. Authorities say nobody was in the vicinity of the building when crews arrived and that the cause of the fire appears to be accidental.
Fire crews were called to the building at 7:49 a.m. and controlled it by 9:10 a.m., officials said. Smoke was coming from the garage door, and flames were seen in the back of the garage, officials said, but personnel from four engine companies, one truck company and two command vehicles kept it from spreading.
Contact Rick Hurd at 925-945-4789 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH.