ANTIOCH -- A fire in a boy's bathroom at Deer Valley High School on Monday caused about $20,000 in damages, a fire official said.

Fire crews were called to the 4700 Lone Tree Way campus at 7:30 a.m. on a report of a blaze in a trash can inside the restroom, said Contra Costa Fire Protection District Capt. Robert Marshall.

The fire was extinguished by the time firefighters arrived, Marshall said. Investigators are still determining how the fire started but said it was fueled by toilet paper in a trash can. The trash can and bathroom stalls were damaged.

At least one campus building was evacuated but there were no reports of injuries.

David DeBolt covers breaking news. Contact him in Richmond at 510-262-2728. Follow him at Twitter.com/daviddebolt.



Advertisement