An unattended pot on the stove is being blamed for a house fire in Hercules Monday afternoon.

The fire was first reported at 2:30 p.m. in the 100 block of Sparrow Drive, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Department. Crews arrived at the single-story home to find flames in the kitchen and family rooms. The only person at the home was a dog sitter, who escaped with two dogs. No injuries were reported, but the sitter was treated for slight smoke inhalation.

The fire was extinguished by 4 p.m. and did not damage any adjacent homes.

The Pinole Fire Department, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District, Rodeo-

Hercules Fire District and El Cerrito Fire Department also assisted.

Follow Karina Ioffee at Twitter.com/kioffee.