ANTIOCH -- A woman caring for her great grandson rushed back into her burning home Monday morning to rescue a pet and was hospitalized for burn injuries and minor smoke inhalation, authorities said.
The great grandson escaped the one-alarm blaze at the home in the 2700 block of Bonita Avenue, off East Tregallas Road.
Crews controlled the fire about 20 minutes after being called to the scene at 7:58 a.m., but they weren't able to rescue the dog that the woman had tried to save, Contra Costa Fire District spokesman George Laing said.
The woman told fire crews that a cat was also inside the home, but firefighters were unable to locate it, he said.
Laing said the dog bit the woman when she tried to rescue it, causing another injury that required medical attention, and she left the home a second time.
"We really want to emphasize that if you are able to safely exit a home, do not re-enter it for any reason," Laing said. "Don't do it. It just takes a couple of breaths of that poisonous air, and you can start to feel dizzy or perhaps collapse. You can become disoriented very quickly, and you have a fire burning around you. That's what causes a lot of fatalities."
The ages of the woman and grandson were not available.
The fire caused approximately $100,000 damage to the home and $50,000 to its contents, Laing said. The house may be salvaged, Laing said, but it will be uninhabitable for an indefinite period.
Contact Rick Hurd at 925-945-4789 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rderh.