CROCKETT -- An ash tray with burning embers sparked a two-alarm fire Tuesday, destroying an apartment and displacing a family, according to the Crockett-Carquinez Fire District.

The fire broke out around 12:40 p.m. in a two-story building in the 700 block of Loring Avenue, a block away from the C&H Sugar Co. factory. Conveniently, the building is located across the street from a fire station and firefighters rushed over to extinguish the blaze, Assistant Chief Harold Barnett said.

No residents were inside the apartment at the time of the fire, but a cat died from smoke inhalation. Damages are estimated at $200,000.

Contact Karina Ioffee at kioffee@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow her at Twitter.com/kioffee



Advertisement