OAKLAND - A Concord man has been sentenced to 10 years in state prison for a shooting in West Oakland last year that left one man dead and two others wounded.
Lamar Eric Webster, 23, had been charged with one count of murder and two counts of attempted murder for a shooting in the 3400 block of West Street at about 4:15 p.m. on Jan. 11, 2013, that killed 21-year-old Eddiebo Rodriguez of Oakland and wounded two other victims.
Webster could have faced more than 50 years in state prison if he'd been convicted of first-degree murder because he was also charged with discharging a firearm causing death as well as shooting at an occupied motor vehicle and committing the offenses while out on bail in another case.
But the Alameda County District Attorney's Office recently entered into an agreement with Webster that allowed him to plead no contest to the lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter.
Rodriguez was one of four people who were slain in separate incidents in Oakland in a brutal six-hour period on Jan. 11, 2013.
Oakland police said after the shootings that they resulted from ongoing feuds between several rival groups who were engaging in retaliatory violence.
Webster was sentenced on Friday by Alameda County Superior Court Judge Paul Delucchi.
Webster's attorney Spencer Strellis said today that Webster pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter to avoid the possibility of being convicted of murder and having to spend the rest of his life in prison.
Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.