SYDNEY -- Indicted Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom admits his new file-sharing site is struggling to keep up with massive demand.
Dotcom launched the "Mega" site with a lavish party on Sunday, the anniversary of his arrest on racketeering charges related to his now-shuttered Megaupload. Dotcom says 500,000 users registered for Mega within 14 hours.
On Tuesday, Dotcom apologized on Twitter for "poor service" and said the launch party -- which featured a reenactment of last year's police raid on his mansion -- led to huge publicity and huge demand.
Dotcom tweeted: "Lesson learned... No fancy launch event for Megabox."
Dotcom plans to launch
This photo taken on January 21, 2013, in Paris, shows a computer screen with the home page of the new "Mega" website launched by controversial 'Megaupload' founder Kim Dotcom. Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom hailed a "massive" response on January 20 to his new file-sharing service with half a million users registering within hours, a year after his arrest in the world's biggest online piracy case. The mega.co.nz website, which replaces the outlawed Megaupload, went live at dawn ahead of a lavish evening party at the New Zealand-based Internet tycoon's Auckland mansion, on the anniversary of the armed police raid that saw him arrested and the site shuttered. AFP PHOTO / THOMAS SAMSONTHOMAS SAMSON/AFP/Getty Images
his Megabox music service in about six months.
U.S. prosecutors accuse Dotcom of facilitating massive online piracy with Megaupload.
Dotcom says he's innocent and remains free on bail.