Three people from East Valley High School were transported to area hospitals Monday afternoon after toxic fumes were spotted coming out from a third floor chemistry classroom, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the high school at 5525 Vineland Ave. in North Hollywood just before 1 p.m. Authorities evacuated the school and shut down Vineland Avenue to all traffic between Chandler and Burbank boulevards until a haz-mat team could investigate.
The entire campus was calmly evacuated to the football field then to the gymnasium, according to the Fire Department.
Councilman Paul Krekorian's office said on Twitter that a teacher mistook sulfuric acid for nitric acid during an experiment. She was taken to a local hospital. Her condition was unclear.
Fire crews evaluated 45 students, but many were released. There were no other injuries reported, fire officials reported.