Changes to the plan - which proposes about $26million in cuts and nearly $35million in deferred payments - will improve it without compromising the major points, said Councilwoman Wendy McCammack.
"More than changes, I think there's been some clarifications that needed to be put into writing," she said, "but also there have been some suggestions made by other council members that I think needed to be incorporated into this document."
McCammack met with Interim City Manager Andrea Travis-Miller and others on Wednesday.
"I think there will be some minor adjustments - I mean minor," she said.
The pendency plan, as it's known, will serve as the city's budget during its bankruptcy - or fiscal years 2012-13 and 2013-14 - and ideas from it will be used in a filing due Nov. 30 with U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Riverside.
Judge Meredith Jury said at the city's last court hearing that she expected the plan "soon" and the city's bankruptcy attorney should have a very good idea what it contains to use in the city's filing, which will argue for narrower grounds for creditors to object that the city doesn't qualify for Chapter 9 protection and that creditors should recover all the money the city owes it.
That would be catastrophic for the city, officials say.
Mayor Pat Morris has criticized what he says is the council's tendency to tinker excessively with plans presented by city administrators, delaying and sometimes blocking changes he thinks are necessary to regain solvency in a city that filed for bankruptcy protection on Aug. 1.
But meetings about the pendency plan - a document whose passage he called "a moment of truth" - were positive, Morris said Wednesday.
"There have been constructive conversations, questions have been answered, and I'm feeling very optimistic that we'll get the job done," Morris said. "I'm remarkably optimistic that we'll get the job done on Monday."
In addition to benefit cuts, a freeze on hiring police officers and changes meant to reduce firefighter overtime, the plan reflects previously approved cuts that have shaved just over $9 million from the city's $45.8 million deficit.
But by the end of the fiscal year, after sorting out which laid-off workers are qualified to replace employees with less time and fulfilling other civil service requirements, those cuts will save almost $13.5 million, according to the plan.
Neither the City Manager's Office nor consultant Michael Busch, who prepared the plan along with Finance Director Jason Simpson and have reportedly met with several council members about modifications, returned calls about the changes.
And no comprehensive list was prepared, Morris said.
But they're mostly in areas such as slight restructuring of medical plans that will save money while giving the same benefits to employees, according to McCammack.
"We have a lot of agreement," McCammack said. "In my heart of hearts, I believe that we will have a plan passed on Monday."