The agricultural town north of Santa Barbara agreed to the settlement on Nov. 2 without acknowledging wrongdoing and was dismissed as a defendant in the girl's federal lawsuit, her attorney Terry Goldberg told the Santa Maria Times ( http://bit.ly/TTI3MQ).
The city agreed to pay the girl and her attorneys $185,000 along with mediation costs.
"Unfortunately, there are no winners in this situation, and the city sees this settlement as a just resolution to a very tragic situation," City Attorney Gil Trujillo said in a statement released on Wednesday.
The widow of Officer Albert Covarrubias is still a defendant in the negligence and sexual harassment suit because she represents her husband's estate.
The lawsuit claimed that beginning on Dec. 31, Covarrubias raped the girl, who was 17, numerous times and threatened to kill her boyfriend and her family if she didn't have sex with him.
The 29-year-old officer was shot by a fellow officer on Jan. 28 as he resisted arrest on suspicion of having an illicit sexual relationship with the girl, police said.
The shooting shook the department and led to a vote in which officers overwhelmingly expressed no confidence in Chief Danny Macagni.
Macagni, who was chief for nine years, retired in August, two days after the city placed him on administrative leave.
Santa Maria's department is not the only California law enforcement agency to encounter allegations of sexual misconduct involving Explorers.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department changed its policies last year after Deputy Nathan Gastineau, 31, was charged with lewd acts upon a child and unlawful sexual intercourse with a 16-year-old Explorer. He has pleaded not guilty.
In August 2011, another deputy, Anthony James Benjamin, 30, agreed to a plea bargain giving him nine months in jail on two counts of oral copulation of a 17-year-old Explorer.
Sheriff Rod Hoops suspended the program for his 216 Explorers. When it resumed, a limit was established for the number of times an Explorer can ride with the same deputy, and a watch commander now must sign off on all ride-alongs.
The San Benito County Sheriff's Department suspended its program after rumors surfaced following a camping trip with Explorers and officers to Yosemite National Park.
The deputy and girl under suspicion denied wrongdoing, but three years ago when the officer was accused of spousal rape, investigators went back to the former Explorer for corroborating evidence. She acknowledged an affair and said she had been afraid to speak up at the time.
Information from: Santa Maria Times, http://www.santamariatimes.com/