On July 25, 1998, Joe Luis Saenz allegedly shot and killed two rival gang members in Los Angeles. Less than two weeks later, on August 5, 1998, Saenz
On July 25, 1998, Joe Luis Saenz allegedly shot and killed two rival gang members in Los Angeles. Less than two weeks later, on August 5, 1998, Saenz allegedly kidnapped, raped, and murdered his girlfriend. Saenz allegedly murdered a fourth victim in October of 2008 in Los Angeles County. Saenz is believed to work for a Mexican drug cartel, and is known to travel between the United States and Mexico. He may have removed his tattoos with a laser. He has reportedly made previous statements indicating plans to kill a police officer upon his arrest. He is believed to always carry a weapon.

Until last week, one of the FBI's ten most wanted fugitives, suspected in four murders in Los Angeles County, was living as an average guy in an apartment above a beauty salon in Guadalajara, Mexico. | PHOTOS

Jose Saenz, 37, was expected to appear in court in Pomona today, more than 14 years after the first slaying.

At a press conference this morning, the FBI, Los Angeles police and sheriff's officials gave more details of his capture, which was announced Friday.

After tips led them to a neighborhood in Guadalajara, the FBI and Mexican authorities monitored Saenz for several weeks, FBI Assistant Director Bill Lewis said.

Mexican authorities arrested him last week as he left the apartment. Saenz, who had said he would shoot a police officer if captured, did nothing of the sort.

"The arrest was without incident," Lewis said. "He was surprised."

Saenz spent more than 14 years on the run, during which he had tattoos removed, used aliases and tried to strip off his fingerprints with Krazy Glue, said FBI Agent Scott Garriola, a member of the local fugitive task force.

But, by his own admission, he got "sloppy."

That was what he told agents after his arrest, said Garriola, who was in Mexico for the capture and flew back with Saenz over the weekend.

Saenz is suspected of killing two people in the Hollenbeck area of Los Angeles in 1998, then kidnapping, raping and killing his girlfriend, who was the mother of his child, less than two weeks later in East L.A.

He's been wanted since then and apparently left the country after the 1998 homicides. There's been a federal fugitive warrant for his arrest since 2002.

But in 2008, sheriff's detectives said, he was back in the United States and killed a man in Whittier over $500,000 in drug money that had been seized by the authorities.

In October 2009, Saenz was added to the Ten Most Wanted list. He's the 492nd person put on the list and the 467th caught.

"This is a great day for Los Angeles," LAPD Assistant Chief Michel Moore said. "It's a safer place today than it was just a week ago."