1. WHEN IT'S TIME FOR 'PLAN C'
Facing a revolt by the rank and file, House Republicans scuttle plans to vote on the so-called Plan B, a proposal to avoid the "fiscal cliff."
2. HOW BIG PHARMA IS CASHING IN ON HGH ABUSE
An AP investigation shows that a federal crackdown on illicit foreign supplies of human growth hormone has driven record sales of the drug.
3. A WEEK LATER, REMEMBERING SCHOOL SHOOTING VICTIMS
Many planned a moment of silence at 9:30 a.m. EST Friday, and buildings in Connecticut with bells were asked to ring them 26 times.
4. WHERE CHRISTMAS WILL BE WHITE, AND ROADS TREACHEROUS
Whiteout conditions in the Midwest are closing interstate highways and canceling flights of holiday travelers.
5. EGYPT GEARING UP FOR PROTESTS AHEAD OF CONSTITUTION VOTE
Backers of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi head toward the presidential palace while liberal and secular groups camp out at Cairo's downtown Tahrir Square.
6. JAPAN'S NEXT LEADER WANTS FREER REIN FOR MILITARY
Shinzo Abe vows a review of post-WWII security policies and proposes ideas that range from changing the name of the military to revising the constitution.
7. FACEBOOK EYES NEW REVENUE
Users would pay $1 to send messages to the inboxes of non-friends under a service the social network is testing.
8. THE END MAY BE NEAR. JUST NOT THIS NEAR
The Mayans' appointed time comes and goes with no sign of the apocalypse.
9. 'SANDY CLAUS' DELIVERS TOYS TO STORM-STRICKEN KIDS
Michael Sciaraffo is playing the role of Saint Nick and heading out to storm-ravaged homes to deliver new toys to kids whose play rooms were destroyed by floodwaters.
10. NHL CANCELS GAMES THROUGH MID-JANUARY
The impasse with the players union has caused more than half the season to be lost - and the rest is now in danger.