Two teenagers were stabbed Dec. 29  inside the South Bay Galleria in Redondo Beach, prompting a search for clues and witnesses to figure out what happened,
Two teenagers were stabbed Dec. 29 inside the South Bay Galleria in Redondo Beach, prompting a search for clues and witnesses to figure out what happened, police said. (Street Heat Productions)

| » Parents outraged by attack

| Ricky's father's letter

Two surveillance videos released Thursday show a darkly clothed man walking through the South Bay Galleria in Redondo Beach shortly before he randomly and viciously stabbed two 13-year-olds outside the AMC movie theaters.

Redondo Beach detectives played the videos for reporters as they announced a $25,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the assailant.

The brief snippets show the man walking past a Johnny Rockets restaurant and following a couple into a Champs sporting good store during the 10 minutes before the unprovoked attack Dec.

Redondo Beach police released this sketch of the Galleria stabbing suspect.
Redondo Beach police released this sketch of the Galleria stabbing suspect.
29.

Although the man's face is not visible, detectives believe somebody - including the couple in the Champs store - might remember seeing the man and help to identify him.

Redondo Beach police Lt. Joe Hoffman said detectives do not know if the man intended to harm the couple or was just walking behind them. He veered in a different direction as they entered the store.

"The video doesn't show a clear depiction of the suspect," Hoffman said. "What we are hoping this video does is jog somebody's memory as to being in the area and possibly having seen this person, they could offer information to us that might lead us to finding out who it is."

A previously released video showed the man hurrying away from the crime, moments after stabbing the teenage boy and girl.

About 7:20 that evening, the boy and girl were talking while sitting on a third-floor bench shortly after seeing a movie when the man suddenly stabbed them and disappeared into the mall. Following hours of surgery, both children are recovering.

"Now that our son is recovering - our main focus was his health - we would like the public to call in if you know who this person is so we can get this monster off the streets so no other families go through what we are going through," said Maria, the boy's mother.



"We were thinking our son was safe there."

Although police have received numerous leads since the crime and have spent hours watching surveillance recordings, they have no information on the assailant.

FBI agents have joined Redondo Beach police in the investigation, helping to enhance the videos and to provide the reward offer.

"We're here today because it's critical we put a stop to this, that we find the perpetrator of this crime and bring swift justice," Redondo Beach Mayor Mike Gin said.

Maria and her husband, Rich, whose last names are being withheld for their safety, have questioned why the Galleria does not have more surveillance cameras. Gin said the Galleria is working on addressing that issue.

Rich urged the public to contact Redondo Beach police with any information about the man, no matter how small a detail.

"Our main goal is to get this dirtbag, evil monster off the street so he doesn't injure anybody else," Rich said.

The man is described as black, in his 40s, tall with a medium build and possibly bald. He had a graying black beard and mustache, and was possibly wearing prescription glasses. He wore a knit beanie cap, green/brown fatigue (not camouflage) jacket, blue jeans and a black T-shirt.

Police asked anyone with information to call them at 310-937-6685, send text messages to 310-339-2362 or email them at crimetips@redondo.org.

larry.altman@dailybreeze.com

Follow Larry Altman on Twitter at http://twitter.com/larryaltman