- Aug 14:
- Robin Williams had Parkinson's disease, wife reveals
- Robin Williams: Bay Area made him feel normal
- Marin sheriff defends release of Robin Williams' death details
- 'Aladdin' stage, film stars mourn Robin Williams
- Aug 13:
- Robin Williams' daughter deletes Twitter and Instagram accounts over online bullying
- Bay Area comics react to Robin Williams' death
- Robin Williams tribute by emotional Jimmy Fallon
- Quoted: Trolls drive Robin Williams’ daughter away from Twitter, Instagram
- Aug 12:
- Marin residents share stories, fond memories of comedian Robin Williams
- Live Chat: Depression, addiction suicide and the loss of Robin Williams, Aug. 13 at 1 p.m. PT
- Robin Williams' death makes public the usually private agony of suicide
- Contra Costa Times editorial: With Robin Williams, depression and bipolar claim another life
- Robin Williams remembered by Ben Affleck, Pam Dawber, Sally Field and more
- Cartoons: Robin Williams
- Robin Williams could appear in four films after his death
- Did Robin Williams hang himself over financial troubles?
- Live updates from Marin County Sheriff's Office press conference on death of Robin Williams, 11 a.m.
- Obama calls Robin Williams 'one of a kind'
- Aug 11:
- Robin Williams fans flock to 'Mork and Mindy' house
- 'We knew him as a neighbor': Marin remembers Robin Williams
- Robin Williams suicide was 'selfish,' says Todd Bridges
- Apple ad was one of Robin Williams' final productions
- Obituary: Comedian Robin Williams dead of suspected suicide at 63
- Appreciation: Robin Williams, not a faster brain on the planet
- Videos: Best of Robin Williams
- Document: Marin County Sheriff's press release on Robin Williams' death
- PHOTOS: Robin Williams through the years
- How we mourned Robin Williams: Social media reaction
- Robin Williams dies; sheriff investigating as suicide
Actor Robin Williams apparently hanged himself by a belt in the bedroom of his Tiburon home and also had slash marks on his left wrist, the county coroner's office disclosed Tuesday.
Williams had been seeking treatment for depression, said sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd, assistant county coroner.
Boyd released the details after the autopsy was conducted Tuesday morning. Toxicology tests are pending on Williams, who had struggled with alcohol and drug abuse.
Williams, a Redwood High School graduate who studied at College of Marin, turned 63 on July 21. He died at his home on St. Thomas Way in unincorporated Tiburon.
Boyd said the preliminary investigation revealed that Williams was last seen alive Sunday night by his wife, Susan Schneider. She went to bed alone at about 10:30 p.m.
FILE - This June 15, 2007 file photo shows actor and comedian Robin Williams posing for a photo in Santa Monica, Calif. Williams, whose free-form comedy and adept impressions dazzled audiences for decades, died Monday, Aug. 11, 2014, in an apparent suicide. Williams was 63. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File) (Reed Saxon)
Schneider left the home at about 10:30 a.m. Monday, thinking Williams was still asleep in a different bedroom.
At 11:45 a.m., a personal assistant knocked on the door of the room where Williams was thought to be sleeping. When the actor did not respond, the aide became concerned and entered the room, finding Williams' body.
Williams was hanging from a belt secured between the door and the frame, Boyd said. He was partially suspended in a seated position with his right shoulder touching the door. He was unresponsive, cold to the touch and stiffening.
The distraught assistant called 911 and sheriff's deputies arrived with Tiburon and Southern Marin firefighters. Williams was pronounced dead at 12:02 p.m.
Investigators found a closed pocket knife near the body and superficial slash marks inside Williams' left wrist. The blade had a dry red substance on it, and authorities are testing it to confirm whether it is Williams' blood.
Boyd declined to release additional details about the scene and would not comment on whether a suicide note was found.
The investigation is continuing but the coroner's division found no signs of a struggle suggesting foul play.