PLEASANT HILL -- A 13-year-old boy needed medical treatment after drinking a large amount of vanilla extract and vomiting near Pleasant Hill City Hall on Wednesday afternoon, a fire dispatcher said.

The minor was treated near Trelany Road after ingesting the baking ingredient, the Contra Costa fire dispatcher said. No further information was immediately available on the condition of the teen.

Medical studies have shown that adolescents have become intoxicated with the ethanol from the vanilla extract. Certain vanilla extracts contain 35 percent ethanol by volume, according to one medical report.