ORINDA -- A clothes dryer fire caused about $80,000 worth of damage to a house this afternoon and possibly caused a fire to a power pole nearby, the Moraga-Orinda Fire District said.

The power pole fire, in the 200 block of Moraga Way, was first reported at 12:54 p.m. When firefighters arrived at the scene they saw a home garage burning as well, Fire Marshal Michael Mentink said. It took 22 firefighters about 30 minutes to have both blazes controlled.

The garage fire started when built-up lint could not properly exit the dryer because the exhaust pipe in the back was crimped, Mentink said. Fire investigators were working to determine how the garage fire was connected to the power pole blaze.

Mentink said homeowners should clean the exhaust duct on clothes dryers regularly and make sure it is not bent or obstructed.



Advertisement