An apparent electrical fire early this morning damaged a classroom building at James Monroe High School in North Hills.
The fire on Haskell Avenue was in a building south of the main school, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said.
Principal Chris Rosas said the building houses about five classrooms.
The fire was reported by a passerby at 2:41 a.m. and took 45 minutes for firefighters to get under control, Humphrey said. No one was hurt.
Rosas said firefighters believed the blaze, which damaged a woodshop and other rooms, started in the electrical system and was not set intentionally.
The principal said the building will likely need “extensive rebuilding of the roof and the foundation.
” In the meantime, he said, students have been sent to the main school, where there are open rooms.
The library and auditorium also could be used for classes, Rosas said.