Three people were badly injured when a fire broke out Tuesday at the home of One Direction's Liam Payne.

The 20-year-old singer was hosting a party on the balcony of his London home when an outdoor heater caught fire, according to the U.K.'s The Mirror. About 30 people fled the building. Three people were badly hurt.

"Firefighters worked quickly and professional to get the fire under control as quickly as possible. About 30 people left the building before we arrived and were not injured," the East London firehouse station manager Laurie Kenny told The Mirror. "Two of the occupants had superficial burns to their hands and the third had burns to his hands and face. All three have been taken to the hospital."

Liam Payne and One Direction perform at the San Jose Event Center on the campus of San Jose State University in San Jose, Calif. on Wednesday, June 13,
Liam Payne and One Direction perform at the San Jose Event Center on the campus of San Jose State University in San Jose, Calif. on Wednesday, June 13, 2012. (Dan Honda/Staff)

The fire destroyed approximately 80 percent of Payne's balcony and required 35 firefighters to put out.

A source told Us Weekly the fire started after "one of Liam's male friends tried to change the gas canister of the heater. It somehow went wrong and he ended up catching fire," the insider said. "The fire quickly spread all over the terrace and even into the living room of his flat."

Payne was there when the fire started and went to the hospital with his friends.

Contact Tony Hicks at Facebook.com/BayAreaNewsGroup.TonyHicks or Twitter.com/insertfoot.