1. He is 21, grew up in Berkeley and attends Bard College and the Bard College Conservatory of Music in Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y., where he is majoring in music composition and classics. His teachers include composers George Tsontakis, Joan Tower and Kyle Gann.
2. At Bard, he co-directs the ensemble Contemporaneous, which recorded the 2012 CD "Stream of Stars: Music of Dylan Mattingly."
3. Since age 16, he has been mentored by composer John Adams, a Pulitzer Prize winner and resident of Berkeley. Mattingly's "I Was a Stranger" was commissioned by the Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music in Santa Cruz (where the piece premiered last summer) and sponsored by Adams and photographer Deborah O'Grady.
4. Mattingly's works also include commissions for the Berkeley Symphony, pianist Sarah Cahill and the Del Sol String Quartet.
5. Mattingly pitched for the varsity baseball team at Berkeley High, from which he graduated in 2009. He also played guitar and bass in Berkeley High's jazz band and was co-principal cello in the Young People's Symphony Orchestra.
For more information, see www.dylanmattingly.com.