A man charged with holding his girlfriend captive for three torturous days in San Rafael was found guilty of most of the charges Tuesday, but jurors deadlocked on rape and sodomy charges.
Carlos Ciprano Housh, 50, of Concord was convicted of domestic violence, false imprisonment, criminal threats and witness intimidation. He was also convicted of assaulting the woman with a rock sculpture, which he repeatedly dropped on her knees while she was lying down, the prosecution said.
In addition to the rape and sodomy counts, the jury deadlocked on a charge that Housh assaulted the woman by pressing a pair of scissors against her eyelids. Housh threatened to cut her eyes out so no other men would be interested in her, said Deputy District Attorney Namita Bhatt.
The district attorney's office has not decided whether to retry Housh on the deadlocked charges, Bhatt said.
The crimes occurred in June 2011 at the woman's apartment in San Rafael. Housh, enraged that the woman wanted to end their relationship, refused to let her leave the apartment or call for help, and subjected her to three days of agonizing abuse, Bhatt said during closing arguments last week.
"She was afraid that she was going to die," Bhatt said.
Deputy Public Defender Peter Arian said Housh "may have been abusive," but that did not mean he raped and sodomized the woman or committed the other alleged crimes. Arian also argued that the victim was not a trustworthy witness and there was insufficient evidence to support her story.
Jury deliberations began Sept. 18 after a trial before Judge Paul Haakenson. The jurors reported Monday that they had been firmly deadlocked for two days on three of the counts, but Haakenson asked them to keep trying, and they continued deliberating Monday afternoon and part of Tuesday.
Housh, who has two prior "strike" convictions for assault and attempted robbery, could face life in prison. The sentencing date has not been set.
Contact Gary Klien via email at email@example.com