RICHMOND -- Fire crews knocked down a two-alarm fire at the Courtyard Marriott early Friday morning after a hotel occupant tried to put out a candle by throwing a towel over it, officials said.
The man staying in the second floor room, a worker in town on business regarding the Chevron refinery shutdown, reportedly threw the towel over a lit candle in his room before he left just after 5 a.m., in attempts to put it out, Battalion Chief Merlin Turner said. Hotel employees discovered the fire about five minutes later, and tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher.
Firefighters arrived at the hotel at 3150 Garrity Way at 5:11 a.m., to find the room had gone up in flames, billowing smoke throughout the hotel. The fire was knocked down within 10 minutes, but not before causing $30,000 in damage, Turner said.
All hotel occupants were evacuated from their rooms, Turner said. Nobody was injured, but some hotel guests were disturbed by the morning's events.
"The Marriott did a good job of getting everyone out, giving everyone breakfast and making sure all of the guests were safe," Turner said. "Most people were very happy."
Fire crews were able to keep the damage to the one room, and the rest of guests were able to return to their rooms early Friday morning, Turner said. The City of Richmond Fire Marshall is investigating the incident.
Contact Erin Ivie at firstname.lastname@example.org.