OAKLAND -- A top Seeno company sales executive who for months said she was not guilty of three counts of wire fraud is scheduled to change her plea Friday, a move often indicating a plea deal in the works with prosecutors.

Carey Hendrickson, 36, of Martinez was indicted last year on three counts of wire fraud, the first casualty from a 2010 FBI raid of the Seeno family's Concord headquarters. A federal judge had set a trial start for March 11.

Hendrickson was scheduled to change her plea Thursday, but her attorney John Runfola told a federal judge she has been on disability from Discovery Builders and taking prescription medicine and could not make it into court.

"She's not in condition to change her plea today," he said.

The judge rescheduled the hearing to 3 p.m. Friday and warned Runfola that a bench warrant will be issued for Hendrickson if she does not show for that. Hendrickson has been free on $50,000 bail.

She is accused of participating in a scheme that inflated the value of four homes she tried to buy in a struggling Pittsburg development owned by her employer. Court documents show Hendrickson's alleged activities may have been part of a larger Seeno effort to inflate the value of homes, also known as a "builder bailout."

Contact Matthias Gafni at 925-952-5026. Follow him at Twitter.com/mgafni.



Advertisement