MARTINEZ -- The homeless man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 7-year-old Antioch girl tried to kidnap three others the day before, according to court documents released Thursday that reveal further details about a frightening 48-hour crime spree.
David Douglas, 43, who remained in custody Thursday in lieu of $7.15 million bail, faces life in prison without parole if convicted of the six felony charges.
One of the many enhancements attached to the charges reveals police believe Douglas abducted the young girl Jan. 3 brandishing a pipe. Police initially said he had a gun when he allegedly abducted the girl from her front yard, after following her and her mother from an Antioch Walmart parking lot to their home.
In numerous jailhouse interviews, Douglas has admitted to taking the girl and other kidnapping attempts, saying in the successful abduction he used a "stick." He said he committed the crime as a "cry for help" and denied sexually assaulting or hurting the girl.
On Wednesday, Douglas made his first court appearance, but his arraignment was delayed a week, and no plea was entered.
About four hours after the girl was abducted, an alert Pittsburg Target employee provided information to police that helped identify Douglas as a suspect. Officers found his car at the Antioch Marina, blocks from the police station.
Antioch police told media shortly after the girl's rescue that Douglas had been identified in a kidnapping attempt the day before at the same Walmart, posing as a social services employee. The police chief said no police report was taken on the incident.
The three charges of attempted kidnapping for sexual purposes include a girl under the age of 14. The other two involve adult women.
Police and prosecutors have declined elaborating on the charges.
Douglas also is charged with forcible lewd acts on the 7-year-old girl and possession of child pornography.
Douglas is scheduled in court Jan. 15.
Contact Matthias Gafni at 925-952-5026. Follow him at Twitter.com/mgafni.