SAN JOSE -- An early Sunday morning shooting death was the city's 28th homicide of the year, capping off a violent seven days in which four people were killed. Three other shootings left three people wounded, including a 15-year-old boy.
The latest slaying occurred around 5:15 a.m. in the 3000 block of Van Sansul Avenue and left one man dead, said San Jose police spokesman Officer Jose Garcia. Police did not say what sparked the confrontation and no arrests have been made.
On Aug. 13, the recent spate of violence ramped up with two killings in one day. At that time police said they had recorded 26 slayings for 2012 -- the same number as this time last year. Officer Garcia added that data will be available Monday on whether the two most recent killings will represent an increase over 2011.
San Jose and most other big Bay Area cities have seen a double digit jump in home burglaries, but violent crime has not yet followed suit. For the moment San Jose police so not say that violence is part of an upward trend, though some of the killings were being investigated as "gang related."
A suspect is in custody on suspicion of stabbing a woman to death Aug. 13, with a small samurai sword in front of a Walgreens drugstore on West San Carlos Street and Meridian Avenue, police said. Investigators said they have tied Marquis Reynolds, 37, of San Jose to her death.
As for the gunfire, Julio Cesar Vasquez, 18, of San Jose, was arrested
Authorities said gang rivalries are behind the Cadillac Drive shooting as well as one Saturday in the 200 block of San Jose Avenue that left a 15-year-old boy wounded.
The homicides occurred within hours of each other Aug. 13. The first came around 1:40 p.m. on Charles Street near Oakland Road and left Martin Chacon, 38, dead in a Chevrolet Impala. The woman was stabbed to death near Meridian Avenue around 6:30 p.m. That same day, Victor Mendoza, 21, was shot around 4 p.m. in the 2300 block of Denair Avenue and died at a hospital Wednesday.
The shootings in which people were wounded occurred throughout the week. A 25-year-old man was shot around 2:30 p.m. Aug. 14, on Cadillac Drive. Then a man was left with potentially life-threatening wounds around 9:35 p.m. Aug. 16, in the 600 block of Sanders Avenue. The boy was walking down the street Saturday when he was shot on San Jose Avenue around 2:45 p.m..
Anyone with information about the crimes can call San Jose police at 408-277-5283.
Contact Joshua Melvin at 650-348-4335. Follow him at Twitter.com/melvinreport.