DANVILLE -- In 1868, the McCauleys moved to the San Ramon Valley from Ireland. As one of the first families to own lots in downtown Danville, the McCauleys constructed the Danville Hotel on Railroad Avenue, which faced the train station to the west toward the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks.
In 1892, the hotel opened its doors catering primarily to railroad passengers and personnel. Operating the hotel became a family business and most of the seven McCauley children helped run the hotel.
In 1893, the family eventually built their one-and-a-half story home, west of the Danville Hotel, which is still known as the McCauley house. In 1927, when it was evident that Hartz Avenue would be the main street, the hotel was moved adjacent to the existing McCauley house on Hartz Avenue as it sits today.
The McCauley House has a transitioning style of Queen Anne Cottage and Colonial Revival. The Queen Anne Cottage elements include a hip roof and side gables, windows with large panes of glass surrounded by small panes while the Colonial Revival includes a front facing open porch with decorative brackets and spindle work.
In 2011, the Town approved redevelopment plans of adjacent properties to the McCauley House. The redevelopment plan consists of preserving the McCauley House and providing for 9,245 square feet of new retail space, 5,700 square feet of new restaurant space, 2,625 square feet of new office space, and 14 for-sale residential units
Although the development plans have been approved by the Town Council, no building applications have been received.
In 2002, the council designated the McCauley House as a local heritage resource. As such, it will continue to contribute to the downtown area's historic character for generations to come.
For more information regarding Heritage Resources such as the McCauley House, contact Danville Associate Planner Crystal De Castro at 925.314.3314 or email@example.com, For more information on the town of Danville, visit http://1.usa.gov/QAZ9Sw.